I cannot begin to tell you how fired up I am about how many people have taken steps to place God first in their lives and in their finances! However, when it comes to money, it is easy for FEAR to creep in and distract us from the very steps we were so committed to take!
We all have legitimate fears – some that involve our finances! One major financial fear usually begins with, “What if I don’t have enough money to …” and can end with any of the following:
- Pay the house payment or rent?
- Pay my car payment?
- Buy food?
When faced with these feelings, here is some Scripture that is really worth reading:
I Kings 17:8-16 8 Then the word of the Lord came to him: 9 “Go at once to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have commanded a widow in that place to supply you with food.” 10 So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, “Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?” 11 As she was going to get it, he called, “And bring me, please, a piece of bread.”
12 “As surely as the Lord your God lives,” she replied, “I don’t have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die.”
13 Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son.14 For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord gives rain on the land.’”
15 She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. 16 For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah.
- Awful economy: It was so terrible that the widow was literally down to her last bit of food – and had no hope of obtaining any more.
- Fear took over: She was so overwhelmed by her circumstances that she had already accepted death.
- A challenge was issued: Just as you have accepted this Giving Challenge, Elijah challenged the woman to do something different than she had initially planned.
- Miracle! Because the lady had faith in the Lord, she chose to take the challenge. As a result, God supernaturally provided for her and her son!